Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Opposite Day, cont.

So here is what I did today:

6:00am: Wake up to the sound of sheep and roosters
6:30am: Eat breakfast (some sort of porridge..reminds me of Malt-O-Meal...remember that fiasco, family??)
7:00am: Laundry - approximately 2 skirts, 6 shirts, 6 pairs of underwear, a towel, and a washcloth take about one hour. And I need to figure out a way to do laundry without making my knuckles bleed.
8:30am: Market - buy rice (with ants in it), tomatoes, garlic, onions, charcoal, and eggs so that we can cook a meal with our language class.
11:45am: Lunch - our egg/tomato stew turned out well!
Afternoon: Plan lessons to teach small children about hygiene i.e. where and how to poop, how to wash hands, etc.

Tonight I have maybe more rice and a cold beer to look forward to. What I would do for a glass of red wine and some CHEESE!

Also, I forgot to mention my proudest moment in Ghana thus far. The other morning I was on my way to bath and approached a small child. He was TERRIFIED of me. He screamed "obruni" (white man) and cried and literally ran way from me!! I laughed. After being chased and tormented by screaming children for the past month, I was thrilled to get some payback. It's the little things here in in Ghana.

1 comment:

The Evangelist said...

Hi there!

You have to understand that some Ghanaian children have been sexually assaulted by some foreigners so ALL foreigners have not come to Ghana with the best intentions. I am sure it would be nice to think that all foreigners are good and decent and compassionate people who are not warped or sick but the reality is that there are rotten characters in this world as well as wonderfully loving persons.

Your blog is interesting and I enjoy reading it.

Keep writing!
Paul